¬† ¬†WHAT YOU FIND IN THIS PAGE:
Maps & How to get here
- Genoa where it is: in North-West Italy (old drawing) ***Google Zoom- Map *** Google zoom satellite
- General Map of Genoa: Google Zoom *** Google satellite**** old map1913 [from Perry Castaneda Library]
- Towns around Genoa (maps)
- Main Highways around Genoa (maps)
- Genoa Map: from the highways to the city center
- Gena Map: Faculty of Engineering
- University – School of Humanities¬†and surroundings
- Genoa red and jellow zones during the G8 in 2001
- a parking and a garage are near the railway station (Piazza Principe) going upwards on the left
another Garage is near Piazza Nunziata (on the right side of the Church)
- How to get to Genoa by road: Map of nearby highways
- by Air: Genoa airport or through the nearest airports in Milano, Torino and Nice – and then by train.
- How to get to Genoa by Rail: EU Railway Timetable or Italian Railways info
- How to get to Genoa by Sea: Click on Genoa
General information on Genoa
- Genoa Airport (flights)
- Getting to Genoa by train from Europe (timetable) in Italy (timetable)
- Genoa: infomations, events & touristic itineraries
- Genoa: the capital of Liguria .
- Porto Antico – Historical Port and Aquarium)
- Fiera di Genova
- Centro storico (Historical Center)
- Virtual Tour in Genoa
University & Institutions
- The University of Genoa
- The (once upon a time) Philosophy Department
- University: Main Building, Dpt. of Philosophy & Epistemologia (map)
- Epistemology section of Dpt. phil.
- Genoa Council
- Genoa Port
- Provincia di Genova
- Regione Liguria
Accomodations & restaurants:
- List of Genoa Hotels by price etc.
- Bed&Breakfast in Genoa
- Ostello per la giovent√Ļ/Youth Hostel
- List of Hotels in Liguria (SEARCH)
- Bere & mangiare (Food & Drink) by Mentelocale
- Ristoranti (Genovabynet)
- Ristoranti (Retegenova)
- Weather information (enel, weatherchannel, ansa, excite, kataweb)
- Weather in Genoa – Yahoo
- Weather information in Liguria – Department of Physics – University of Genoa –
- weather information in Liguria by ARPAL
- weather information in italian
Inventions & discoveries: (a short list of things discovered or invented by Genoa natives)
- Americas: discovered by mistake by Cristoforo Colombo.
- Banking: invented in Genoa; a town which has the earliest notary minute books that have survived, XIII Century.
- Blue Jeans: invented after the name of the color of material coming from Genoa: blue-Genoa; blue-Jeans.
- Culture: help for writers: in Genoa’s prisons Marco Polo had all the time to dictate the story of his Journey to the East, Il Milione (dictating it to a friend). He was held in the¬†underground prison of Palazzo San Giorgio,¬†the first “public” palace of the Republic of Genoa dated 1260 (the wider part with the painted facade was built in 1571) .
- Genoa: kind of sail well known to sailors.
- Marron Glac√©s: invented (1790) when the hills around Genoa were covered with chestnut trees. Used later also in France.
- Moto Guzzi¬† The¬†first Guzzi motorbike was originated by the energy (in ideal and money) of a Genovese aviator, Giorgio Parodi (1897-1955) – who had three silver medals for his war enterprises.¬†Fond of race bikes, he¬†asked his father to lend¬†some money to form a new firm with his friend, the mechanics Carlo Guzzi, in 1921. Giorgio Parodi¬† didn’t want his name on the logo, leaving it with the symbol of an eagle and the name “Moto Guzzi” ¬†(the name of the firm was¬†decided to be “Societ√† Anonima Moto Guzzi”: either Giorgio Parodi¬†¬†was shy or he feared the company could fail, damaging the family reputation). However, the first Guzzi motorbike (that you can¬†see in the Guzzi¬†history¬†museum) has two letters at its side: “G.P.” These letters stand for “Guzzi” and “Parodi”, the now anonymous Genovese founder of the enterprise.
- Moto perpetuo: invented by Paganini. Here played by GreatWallAcademy (5.56) Pierre Lenert (3mn58) Yehudi Menhuin (3mn)
- Pesto: invented by an unknown local countryman (for more info see a general¬†presentation¬†at bbc.com)
- Pasta: nobody knows for certain who invented pasta, but one of the oldest documents about pasta is a notary document of a wood maker who writes, in 1244, of “pasta made into strings”. However in commercial documents of Genovese trade between 1157 and 1170 there are references to “Sicilian pasta”. The Genoveses¬†were so well known for their ability to make pasta that even “maestri lasagnari” (lasagna makers) in Venice invited the Genovese Paolo Adami, to teach them the art of making “paste fini all’uso di Genova”.
- Macaroni: in his last will dated 1274 the Genovese Ponzio Bastone leaves to his heirs “a chest full of macaroni”.
- Lasagne pasta was a well-founded craft in the Middle Age in Genoa, and certainly well done in 1316. Special: “lasagne al pesto”
- Pasta: Ravioli: (see also NYT) invented by the “Ravioli” family, in Gavi Ligure
- St.George’s Flag: Attested since 1099 [first Crusade, used by the Genovese Gugliemo Embriaco]. In 1992 the Duke of Kent is reported to say: “The St. George’s flag, a red cross on a white field, was adopted by England and the City of London in 1190 for their ships entering the Mediterranean to benefit from the protection of the Geonoese fleet. The English Monarch paid an annual tribute to the Doge of Genoa for this privilege.” It seems that English Monarchs stopped paying, maybe with the excuse¬†that Genoa is no more an independent Republic.
- Vespa Few people know that the famous Italian motorbike has its origin in Genoa. In 1884 the Genovese Rinaldo Piaggio founded Piaggio & C. ¬†that developed¬†later aircraft production. After the First ¬†World War, with the crisis of aircraft industry, Enrico Piaggio (born in Genoa, 1905) decided to increase the production with motorbikes and¬†asked the Engineer Corradino D’Ascanio to make a project of a new motorbike. In front of the prototype¬†¬† Enrico Piaggio is reported to say: “sembra una vespa!” (“it looks like a wasp!”). ¬†It was 1946.