Second Annual Conference: Exemplars and Exemplarism (October 5th-6th 2017)
After a quite long neglect, the philosophical community has recently seen a resurgence of interest in such topic, highlighting both its theoretical and educational relevance. Such rehabilitation of exemplarity is mainly due to the work of Zagzebski, whose Exemplarist Moral Theory is now a landmark.
The aim of the conference is to gather scholars working on exemplarity, discussing both the Exemplarist theory and the topic of exemplars broadly conceived, exploring their strengths, but also their weaknesses, as well as addressing potential and actual criticisms.¬†¬†¬†‚Äč
Piergiorgio Donatelli¬†(Sapienza University, Rome)
Ian J. Kidd¬†(University of Nottingham)
Linda T. Zagzebski¬†(University of Oklahoma)
Summer Scool: The virtues (Italian)
There will be two kinds of sessions, lectures and group sessions, which will alternate on each of the¬†three days.
When: June 1st-3rd, 2017.
Venue: Capodifaro University College. More info at http://www.capodifaro.it/it/
Speakers: Angelo Campodonico (Genoa), Elvio Ancona (Udine), Mario De Caro (Rome 3 ‚Äď Tufts),
Gabriele De Anna (Udine ‚Äď Bamberg), Simona Langella (Genoa), Matteo Negro (Catania), Giacomo Samek Lodovici (Catholic¬†University, Milan), Luca Tuninetti (Urbaniana, Rome), Markus Krienke (Lugano).
Reading Group: Exemplars and Exemplarism (Italian)
When: every other Tuesday, from March 14th to May 9th, 2.15 PM.
Seminar series: Exemplars and Exemplarism (Italian)
‚ÄčThis seminar series, such as the reading group, will focus on moral exemplarity. However, instead of being based on philosophical reflections only, it will benefit from speakers from a plurality of approaches (history of philosophy, literature, and film studies).
When: every other Tuesday, from February 28th to April 20th, 3.00 PM.
[Partner’s event] Conference on Character, Wisdom and Virtue Oxford January¬† 5th-7th¬† 2017 ¬†¬† http://jubileecentre.ac.uk/1674/conferences/character-wisdom-and-virtue
Promoted by the Jubilee Center on Character and Virtues, Birmingham (UK)
November 18th 2016, 3pm
Carla Bagnoli, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, University of Oslo, Specchio, specchio: Murdoch e Blackburn sull’autorit√† degli affetti, Aula 6 Via Balbi 2. Genova
1st Annual Conference (University of Genoa). ¬†Connecting Virtues. Theoretical and Educational Insights
28-30 September 2016
Confirmed Speakers: R. Pouivet (Universit√® de la Lorraine), Kristj√°n Kristj√°nsson (University of Birmingham),¬† Duncan Pritchard (University of Edimburgh), Sophie-Grace Chappell (Open University), Kevin Flannery (Pontifical Gregorian University).
Location: Aula Magna della Facolt√† di Scienze Umanistiche. University of Genoa.
For further information, please contact:¬†firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit the website at:¬†http://connectingvirtuesconference.weebly.com/
Graduate Course of Contemporary Practical Philosophy (II semester, 2015-2016) on the topic of ‚ÄúThemes and Problems of Virtue Ethics‚ÄĚ (schedule: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 14-16). Instructor: Prof. Angelo Campodonico.
Reading group: issues in contemporary virtue ethics
The aim of the reading group is to read and discuss some recent key works concerning the debate over the virtues, on a weekly basis. All the meetings will take place in Prof. Campodonico’s office (via Balbi 4, 2nd floor) at 4 PM. The texts will be provided by the organizers. The reading list includes:
- March¬†3rd, 2016:¬†T. Chappell, Virtue Ethics in the twentieth century
- March 10th, 2016:¬†S.-G. Chappell, Lists of the Virtues
- March 17th, 2016:¬†T. Irwin, Do Virtues Conflict? Aquinas‚Äô Answer
- March 31st, 2016:¬†D. Pritchard, Intellectual Virtue, Extended Cognition, and the Epistemology of Education
- April 7th, 2016:¬†J. Baehr, Character Virtues, Epistemic Agency, and Reflective Knowledge
- April 14th, 2016:¬†K. KristjaŐĀnsson, There is something about Aristotle. The Pros and Cons of Aristotelianism in Contemporary Moral Education
- April 21st, 2016:¬†D. Russell, From Personality to Character to Virtue
The seminar series consists of three lectures given by invited speakers, focusing each on a specific virtue, plus a short course on the virtues in Adam Smith. The first three meetings will take place in the Aula Magna of the Humanities School (via Balbi, 2), whereas the location of the short course is still to be confirmed.
- 24.02.2016, 3PM. Giacomo Samek Lodovici (Catholic University of Milan):¬†Giustizia liberale e/o virt√Ļ civili?
- 23.03.2016, 16PM. Patrizio Odetti (Director¬† DIMI, University of Genoa):¬†Perch√© i medici non amano curare gli anziani?¬†Le virt√Ļ nelle professioni sanitarie.
- 11 aprile 2016, 15PM. Sante Maletta (Universit√† di Bergamo) “Virt√Ļ e legge naturale. Una prospettiva ‘sovversiva’”. Biblioteca di Filosofia, Via Balbi 4, I piano.
- (autunno – data da definirsi).¬†Carla Bagnoli (University of Modena e Reggio Emilia-University of Oslo):¬†L’autorit√† dell’amore.¬†
- 26, 27, 28.04.2016.¬†Raquel Lazaro Cantero, Universidad de Navarra (Pamplona):¬†Las virtudes en Adam Smith.
Planned activities in affiliated institutions
November, 26. University of Modena and Reggio Emilia: Gabriele De Anna (University of Udine), Ragione e bene nell‚Äôazione. [Location: via San Geminiano 3, Modena (Aula R: 14-17.15)]
Cultivating Virtues: Interdisciplinary Approaches, Oriel College, Oxford, January 7‚Äď9, 2016 The fourth annual conference of the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues, University of Birmingham. – See more at: http://www.jubileecentre.ac.uk/1643/conferences/cultivating-virtues#sthash.pa2ddFaO.dpuf